Social media platforms are always updating or changing in some way, shape, or form. That means these platforms are constantly changing their requirements for the dimensions of uploaded images. It can be an exhausting task to keep track of it all. As a Baton Rouge social media company, Gatorworks stays on top of all this information. That’s why we compiled a list of all the current image requirements for the most popular social media platforms, starting with Facebook image sizes.
Your Facebook Photo Sizes Cheat Sheet
As of 2020, Facebook’s latest figures show that more than 2.45 billion people log in to the platform every month. On a daily basis, there are more than 1.62 million active Facebook users. Choosing the right images is crucial to maintaining your brand’s identity. Any mistake could prevent you from engaging with this huge user base. Choosing the right photo dimensions when communicating with your followers ensures a clear, concise message.
Facebook Profile Picture Size
Your profile picture follows you everywhere through Facebook. It appears on your followers’ news feeds, the posts on your page, your replies in comments, and more. Your profile picture is one of the most important images for this platform for this reason. So stick with a high-quality photo or logo that represents your company well.
- Must be at least 180 x 180 pixels.
- Photos will appear on page as 170 x 170 pixels on desktop, 128 x 128 on smartphones, and 36 x 36 on most feature phones.
- Profile pictures are located 16 pixels from the left and 176 pixels from the top of your cover photo on desktop.
- Profile pictures are located 24 pixels from the left, 24 pixels from the bottom and 196 pixels from the top of your cover photo on smartphones.
- Photo thumbnails will appear throughout Facebook at 32 x 32 pixels.
A business page on Facebook varies in formatting from personal pages. Your profile picture appears in a column on the left side of the screen. This placement helps your brand’s image stand out more. Although the formatting of business pages are different, the image guidelines for a business page profile picture remains the same, including that they’ll be cropped to fit a square. We recommend using your company’s logo or mark for best brand recognition.
Facebook Cover Photo Size
Your cover photo is the larger photo at the top of your Facebook profile page. Like your profile picture, your cover photo can be seen by anyone visiting your page. The larger size of your cover photo opens up opportunities for you to express yourself or your brand more creatively. Consider using horizontal photos of your building, products, or even a group shot of your team.
- Appear on page at 820 x 312 pixels. Anything less will be stretched.
- Minimum size of 400 x 150 pixels.
- Displays at 820 x 312 pixels on desktop and 640 x 360 pixels on smartphones.
- Doesn’t display on feature phones.
- For best results, upload an sRGB JPG file less than 100 KB.
- Images with a logo or text may be best as a PNG file.
- Business Page dimensions are exactly the same as personal accounts.
Facebook Shared Image Size
One of the features that made Facebook iconic was its ability for its users to share photos and links. Any image you share will show up for most of your followers to see on their timeline. Ideally, your posts’ organic reach will grow the more people engage with your photo. That’s why it’s important, when posting photos, to keep these image guidelines in mind.
- Recommended upload size of 1,200 x 630 pixels.
- Will appear in feed at a max width of 470 pixels (will scale to a max of 1:1).
- Will appear on page at a max width of 504 pixels (will scale to a max of 1:1).
Facebook Shared Link Image Size
Facebook offers a great deal of flexibility when it comes to shared links. You can choose between a shared link image on bottom with text above the link image. Or you can choose a smaller square photo on the left with the post text on the right. Below are the dimensions for both images.
- Recommended upload size of 1,200 x 628 pixels.
- Square Photo: Minimum 154 x 154px in feed.
- Square Photo: Minimum 116 x 116 on page.
- Rectangular Photo: Minimum 470 x 246 pixels in feed.
- Rectangular Photo: Minimum 484 x 252 on page.
- Facebook will scale photos under the minimum dimensions. For better results, increase image resolution at the same scale as the minimum size.
Facebook Highlight Image Size
Facebook business page administrators have the ability to highlight posts for their Facebook fans through their timelines for Facebook pages. These highlighted posts can include photos, videos, and text. A highlighted photo will appear first on your facebook page similar to a pinned tweet on Twitter. Below are the image guidelines for a highlighted image.
- Will appear on your page at 843 x 504 pixels.
- Choose a higher resolution at that scale for better quality.
Facebook Event Image Size
Facebook events can be created by anyone, and can be open to the public or private. They act a surefire way to cut through the noise on Facebook. As a result, your brand’s event image space should be utilized to its fullest potential. Don’t make the mistake of missing out on valuable screen real-estate. Consider designing a special graphic for your event—and don’t forget to include your company’s branding. Follow the guidelines below:
- Current size: 1200 x 628 (2:1 ratio).
- Recommended size: 1920 x 1080 (16:9 ratio).
- Facebook will scale down to minimum dimensions: 470 × 174.
- Shows in feed: 470 × 174.
Your Baton Rouge Social Media Experts
Are you interested in growing your business on social media in Baton Rouge? Gatorworks can help you with paid social media advertising, as well as management of your organic content. Contact us at 225.924.6109 or online. You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn to see these images in action! And be sure to stay tuned to our blog for more social media image cheat sheets.