Five Questions to Ask Yourself When Developing Your Website
A new website (or a redesign of the current site) is one of the biggest investments you will make for your business. It is important to understand what your website needs to do and what actions you want visitors to your site to take.
Five Questions for Determining Web Development Goals
If you are planning a new website, here are five things to ask regarding your web development goals.
- Who is your customer? This will have a major effect on how you design and develop your website. Is your customer older and not-so-tech-savvy? Or is your customer younger, more tech-savvy, and impressed with bells and whistles? This will help you decide if a simpler design will be better.
- Why are you building your website? A lot of times, people say they want to redesign their website because it “just feels old” or it is “not working like it should”. What does this mean, however? A better question is “how can I build my website to align with my business goals?”. Are you looking to sell products? Generate leads? Raise awareness? Answering this question will have a major effect on the design and development process.
- What is the competition doing? First off, know who your competition is. Second, make a list of them and review their websites. What do you like? What do you hate? What can you do to make your website easier to use for your customers? What can you do to make your website stand out?
- What types of content will you have on your site? Content should always precede your design. Without content, a website is nothing more than decoration. Will your content be text-based? Will you use large images? Video? Developing your content ahead of time will help influence how your site is developed.
- Have you considered search engine optimization? It is one thing to put a website live on the Internet. Is it a whole other thing to be proactive in making that website searchable for the search engines and findable for your audience. Have you determined what keywords you want to rank for? Thought about your navigation and site structure? Planned content that will help you rank well? Make SEO a priority from the start with your web development.
If you have trouble finding any of this information, a qualified web design company can help. If you have answers to these five questions, you are already way ahead of a majority of companies that invest in web development.